full screen background image

Friday 13 December 2013

Fabulous Friday Tutorial-Seam Binding

Hello Glittery Katie here- this week for the Fabulous Friday Tutorial and I shall be sharing a technique with you that I use a lot! I love making tags and I like to finish them off with a colour co-ordinated ribbon....


I use seam binding which is has a texture like a silk ribbon, I buy 5m packets of seam binding in cream or white so I can colour it however I want.


In this case I wanted to colour co-ordinate my ribbon with my wintery blue tag......


...I used Distress Stain and ran the inker over my seam binding ribbon but I didn't want a solid colour....


...so I left patches of ribbon uncoloured.....

I then sprayed the ribbon with some Perfect Pearls spray also in blue....


...this added a lovely pearly twinkly to the ribbon.

I then squidged the ribbon up as I wanted a crinkled look and heated it with my heat gun....


...I have no patience and wanted to speed the drying process up- be careful and don't over heat your ribbon!

The ribbon now is crinkly and has a lovely patchy, vintage look...


Now the ribbon is dry you can add some more colour if you want.
You can also colour the ribbon with ink pads, paints (which makes the ribbon a little stiffer but still works well!), alcohol inks or alcohol pens. It's a very versatile ribbon and it's fun to experiment.

Finally I trim the edges of the ribbon with a diagonal cut to stop it from fraying- although that can be a good look....


...and I thread it through my finished tag..


It's a simple technique but a coloured ribbon can really finish off a project!

Happy Crafting!
GlitteryKatie XxX

1 comment:

  1. Awesome tutorial, Katie! This is one of my favorite techniques and haven't done it in a while so I think I will do it soon! Thanks for the inspirational kick in the butt! ;)

    ReplyDelete