I incorporated several different techniques in the creation of my 3-D Skullz note card:
- Black magic colored pencil technique - stamping on black cardstock with white ink and coloring the open areas of the image with colored pencils
- Positive/negative technique - infusing [stamping on black cardstock with white ink] and [stamping on white cardstock with black ink]
- 3-D paper piecing - stamping image on two colors of paper/cardstock, cutting, and adhering the cut pieces to the focal image with foam dimensional pads
~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~
I chose the awesome Sugar Skulls stamp set for this tutorial because the size of the skulls is great for teaching this technique. And I will apologize ahead of time for the lighting in these photos.
Stamp the skulls and flowers on black cardstock in white dye ink.
Color the flowers with colored pencils - any brand will do. I happen to have Crayola Twistables that my granddaughter uses when she comes to visit. :)
Stamp the skulls and flowers on white cardstock in black ink.
Cut out the skulls and discard the rest of the image.
Line up the cut out skulls with the skulls on the base image and adhere them, either flat against the base or with very thin dimensional pads, depending on the overall amount of dimension you want to achieve.
Stamp the skulls and flowers once more on white cardstock in black ink.
Cut this set of skulls out, place 3-D foam pads on the back of them, and set aside.
At this point, go ahead and create your card, cutting and matting the layers, and embellishing as desired.
Finish the card by placing the second set of cut out skulls over top of the first ones using the 3-D foam pads you placed on the back of them earlier.
- Paper and More black cardstock; Hammermill white cardstock; DCWV hot pink cardstock
- Bombshell Stamps Sugar Skulls stamp set
- SweetStamps white dye ink
- Memento Tuxedo Black ink
- Crayola Twistables colored pencils
- Tiny white flat-back pearls
That's all there is to paper piecing - it's a lot of fun and will yield a striking design on a card or project! Hope you've enjoyed this and have found some inspiration to give it a try! And to get your mojo going, be sure to check out all that Bombshell Stamps has to offer! I'm sure you'll find something to add to your crafty stash! ;)