full screen background image

Sunday 16 February 2014

Mermaid In A Bottle

Hi there! It's Leslie, MIA Bombshell Stamps guest designer, here with my latest Bombshell project... Mermaid In A Bottle! Yep, it's easy and it's loads of fun! I've wanted to do this for a long time and finally have the perfect mermaid stamp! ;)

Using the acetone-soaked twine with flame trick, I "cut" the wine bottle in two near the bottom. I cut a styrofoam ball in half and glued it into the bottom piece and filled the moat around the ball with clear glue. I sprinkled metallic blue, metallic seafoam and silver metallic micro marbles, as well as blue and green flock over the glue. I let it dry for several days and added a little more clear glue, micro marbles and flock to the sunken areas, and let it dry for several more days.


In the meantime, while the sea bottom was drying, I stamped the Bombshell mermaid, treasure chest and ship's wheel with sentiment on ivory cardstock and colored them with Copic markers. I attached the mermaid and the treasure chest to narrow pieces of clear cardstock and set them aside until final assembly. For the tag, I cut the ship's wheel and sentiment with a circle die and inked the edges, and set it aside.


I stamped the seaweed twice on clear cardstock and cut both clumps out. After a day's drying time, on the non-stamped side, I outlined the seaweed in green, teal and blue Stickles and sprinkled the blue and green flock on them while still wet. I let these dry for a couple days.


After a little over a week, it was finally time to assemble my project! I cut slits in the bottom and glued the mermaid, treasure chest and clumps of seaweed in place. I found some coral and fish stickers along with a tiny seashell in my stash which I thought were perfect additions to my sea bottom! I glued the top of the bottle back onto the bottom and let it dry for a day. I applied a narrow strip of clear packing tape around the seam and then wrapped the seam in twine.


I applied a bronze eyelet and jump ring to the tag, cut a small length of ball chain, and attached the tag to the bottle.



That's it! All you need are a few supplies and lots of patience! It's not something you can create in a day, but you need to give it a shot! It's guaranteed F-U-N and a definite conversation piece! Thanks so much for stopping by!
Hugs,
Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment