full screen background image

Friday 3 August 2012

Teeny Weeny Bombshells

Hi everyone- GlitteryKatie here!!
I recently had a play with shrink plastic and made a Bombshell charm. Well this got me thinking and I thought it would be fun to play with scale becuase I LOVE miniatures.

I thought it would be fun to have a mini mermaid in a bottle;




I also added some koi so the mermaid wouldn't be lonely;



You will need:
Stamps
Staz-On Ink
Shrink plastic
Colouring pens or pencils that will work on a smooth surface
A small jar such as a spice jar, cleaned and dried
Some tiny gravel, sand or glitter
Fabric for a lid and some fibres to embellish
Clear glue
Glue mix (50% white glue + 50% water)
  
Prepare your jar



Do this stage first ahead of time as it takes a little time:
Sprinkle a little gravel or sand or glitter into the bottom of your jar and then drip some glue mix (50% white glue + 50%water) onto it and allow to dry.
Build the gravel layer up slowly allowing to dry between layers-the white glue will dry clear but because of the water it will soak into the gravel and bind it together nicely.
When you have a layer depth you are happy with you are ready to move on, although I added a sprinkling of glitter on the top of my last layer of gravel..well I AM GlitteryKatie!


Prepare your shrinky dink
Stamp your image onto the shrink plastic with Staz-On ink. Carefully colour in your stamped image.
Cut around the stamped image leaving a little edge.
Using your heat gun shrink the images and allow to coo.

Attaching your shrinky dinks.
I used two methods for attaching my shrinky dinks:
Firstly I used a lovely big blob of Glassy Accents (clear glue) on the surface of the gravel and carefully lower the mermaid shrinky dink into the blob of glue. 
I wedged the mermaid in place until the glue was dry.
Secondly I attached a wire through a little hole in the koi shrinky dinks to give the illusion of them swimming in the jar.

~Again I put a blob of Glossy Accents onto the gravel then pushed the wire into the glue. 
I wedged the koi in place until the glue was dry.

You can see the wire attaching the koi to the gravel here:



Embellishing the jar.
I added a few teeny pieces of moss to the jar, gluing them in place with Glossy Accents again to make little pieces of seaweed.

~I used a piece of fabric glued onto the top of the jar as a lid. I tied a few pretty fibres around the fabric and added a label.

~I added a piece of paper, aged with Distress inks and printed with a 'Mermaid' label around the base of the jar.

~So there you go that's how to make a miniature mermaid in a jar!
I hope you enjoyed my tutorial and maybe you have some cool Bombshell projects that you've made with Shrink Plastic!

See you again soon!
Happy Crafting!
GlitteryKatie xxx






4 comments:

  1. A beautiful and inspiring creation! I love it!

    Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fab mermaid creation I am also a lover of minature things so right up my street

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOSH!! This is beyond AMAZING! love it so much. Thank you for the tutorial!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you know that you can create short links with LinkShrink and make $$$$$$ from every visit to your shortened links.

    ReplyDelete