full screen background image

Friday 23 November 2012

Splattered Stains

Hi All!

Okay, I know you're all probably out doing your Black Friday shopping, but I know once you re-cooperate, grab some coffee and have some creative, somewhat messy fun. You'll even get to take out a little of your shopping frustration! Welcome to my Distress Stains Splattered tutorial :-)

Here's what you'll need:

A craft sheet, various colors of Distress Stains (I used seedless preserves, shaded lavender and dusty concord), cardstock, a water brush or some sort of paintbrush, Distress Ink (I used walnut stain) and a foam blending tool. (You might also want to wear an apron or something you don't mind getting ink on.)


First I usually shake up my stains (not sure you need to). Take off the lid and squeeze the sides a bit. This will help get the ink up into the dauber. Now comes the fun part... smash it down onto the cardstock. The harder you do it the more it splatters.  Use different colors and let them mix and overlap.


 Now that you have your big splatters, you need some little ones. I usually test out my stain on the craft sheet to make sure it's juicy. Take advantage of the puddles that are left and load up a paint brush with some of that color and flick it onto your cardstock. Now you'll have some nice little speckles to go with the splatters. I like to used the water brush because the Distress Stains will react with it and it'll look somewhat distressed.


Finally, I like to take the foam blender with a brown color and distress the edges. It makes it look more grungy and vintage.


And tadda! Here's the finished pieces. I used Sacred Heart for my main art, available of course from the fabulous ladies at Bombshell Stamps. Enjoy!

Until Next Time,

2 comments:

  1. Such a gorgeous background! I really need to get me some distress stains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh I love this! I love splattered ink - too cool. Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete